Sunday, September 22, 2013

Seasons


The other day I overheard two women talking and one simply whispered "Everything has its season." As I passed by I stored those words in my mind and later that day I began to unpack the impact that simple thought truly had on me. 

So often I find myself waiting and preparing for what’s next, the next chapter of my life.  A new city, the hope of a relationship, furthering my education, a vacation, etc. etc. I constantly find myself anxious to finish the moment I find myself in, because what I plan will come next seems more exciting, fulfilling, seems more appealing.  I suppose it’s the “the grass is always greener on the other side” effect that I seem to believe to be gospel.

I often dream of the day I have a career, because no matter how much I love being a nanny, I don’t want to do it forever.

I frequently wonder when I’ll find a steady relationship, because while I’m content with being single in the moment I know I don't want to be single my entire life.

I continually imagine a moment, a time to come, when I know longer feel a war within me between being a scared little girl and a confident woman.

However, with the simple words spoken by a woman I didn’t know my entire view of life shifted.  While I’ve heard the phrase “Everything has its season” many times before, I finally heard the words not only with my ears but also with my heart.

How powerful it is to know, and then remember that every part of our life has a specific purpose, and comes in timing that far exceeds our own understanding; a purpose not to be rushed through or frustrated with, but to be appreciated and embraced.

There is a reason that I am in a season in which I’m working but I’m not in my dream career.  It gives me something to work towards.

There is a reason that I am in a season in which I am single. It is allowing me to truly seek and know myself, before I add some hottie to the mix.

There is a reason I am in a season in which I struggle between feeling like a scared little girl and a confident woman.  It requires that I work on myself to become the kind of person I long to be.

"Everything has its season." I believe this to be true. And now that I’ve opened not only my ears but also my heart to these words I truly believe that my present life has blossomed into something incredibly beautiful. I will no longer be anxious to finish the moment I find myself in. From now on I hope to know and remember that each step, each moment, each season has a specific purpose, and that the next season will come in it's own perfect timing, so there’s no reason to rush through what I have, where I am, who I am; in this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment